Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fullfilling the Promise, Chapter 3 & 4

Chapter 3-Teacher Response to Student Needs: A Starting Point for Differentiation
Chapter 4-Teacher Response to Student needs: Rational to Practice
How can we do it all? seems to be the question that haunts me continuously. I know, in order to make a difference in the lives of my students, I must really get to know my students, but how can I do it all? I often have to think to myself, why did I enter into the teaching profession? Why do I want to be a teacher? These questions come back to the same answer, because I want to make a difference in the lives of my students. I often hear stories about dream teachers, who risked everything they had to make a difference in their students life. The purpose of teaching is not to risk everything I have worked so hard to receive, but to help students learn and be prepared for the road that lies ahead of them.
I believe I can make a difference without risking my marriage or family, just by making the children feel loved and secure in my classroom, by making the children feel important, by making it my responsibility for my students to succeed, by not letting my students give up, by seeing things through my students eyes to help them learn better.
I ask, how can we do it all? The answer is differentiation.

1 comment:

  1. Differentiation really IS the answer! "Doing it all" supposes that you'll be spending gobs of time writing lesson plans, gobs of time training the students for disciplined classes, lots of time teaching what someone else tells you to. To me, differentiation is a liberating idea, because all of that will be affected by differentiation. I think it's a matter of which road you choose. 4 points

    ReplyDelete